Monday, February 14, 2011

Givin it up for Lent

Every year we go through the "what to give up" for lent issue.
We have given up eating meat EVERY friday this year instead of just for lent, but this is something we do in addition to giving up something. I try to give something up, but I also try to do something positive that I have difficulty doing. This year I think I am going to give up drinking sodas. I am down to one a day, but I have an unnatural craving after even one day without it. It will be difficult to do without and that is the point, so I think I am going to go with that. I really don't know if I can do it.

For the "something positive" last year I tried to write a letter or card to someone thanking them or giving encouragement every day. I failed miserabely only doing it about one out of every three days. In general, I find it harder to DO the positive thing usually than to give up something. Isn't that odd? St Teresa wrote in her diaries about seeking out everyday the person who most irritated her or vexed her and trying to see the good in them or saying something nice to them or positive until she saw them in a different way. I guess that's why I am not a saint. One year I tried to say something positive to my husband every day and I couldn't do it! How sad. Luckily, room for spiritual growth!!! I even consider it doing a positive thing when I don't say something negative about the things people do that irritate me to know end ( not putting new toilet paper on the roll and propping the new roll on the empty, not turning lights out, leaving cabinet doors open, not putting away things you take out...), what a saint I AM.

I am still trying to discern my direction in this. I would love to hear your suggestions.

2 comments:

  1. Well, St. Debora, I will definitely ponder on this one. I too need to think about what to give up for Lent. I don't think I could do soda without killing somebody.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have much left to give up :-) but I am going to try to take on something ...sending a card a day might be a good project to take on!

    ReplyDelete